SACRAMENTO, CALIF., – Better Business Bureau of Northeast California is warning San Francisco Giants fans that scammers might be selling fake playoff game tickets online. “Thanks to the internet, there are countless ways for consumers to find tickets and connect with online marketplaces, ticket sellers, and resellers,” said Lynn Conner, President of the BBB serving Northeast California.
BBB is warning consumers to be smart when searching for and purchasing tickets, to ensure they are purchasing from a trustworthy source. The BBB has received hundreds of complaints on BBB Scam Tracker about ticket scams related to sporting events, concerts, theatre, and more.
Here are some tips for buying tickets online if you are planning on attending the games:
- Purchase from the venue whenever possible.
- Consider your source. Know the difference between a professional ticket broker (a legitimate and accredited reseller), a ticket scalper (an unregulated and unlicensed ticket seller), and a scammer selling scam tickets.
- Check out the seller/broker on BBB.org
- Buy only from trusted vendors.
- Know the refund policy.
- Always use a credit card whenever possible.
- Be wary of advertisements promoting cheap tickets.
- If you’re unsure, verify your tickets. Pay a visit to the arena where the event will be held. Present your ticket to “Will Call” (customer service) and they can verify if your ticket is legitimate and show you how to tell if a ticket is fake.
ABOUT BBB: BBB is a nonprofit, business-supported organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. For more than 100 years, the Better Business Bureau has been helping people find businesses, brands and charities they can trust. Most BBB services to consumers are free of charge. BBB provides objective advice, free BBB Business Profiles on more than 5.3 million companies, 11,000 charity reviews, dispute resolution services, alerts and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust. There are over 100 local, independent BBBs across the United States, Canada and Mexico. BBB of Northeast California was founded in 1937 and serves 24 counties throughout the region. Visit bbb.org for more information.