LOS ANGELES May 6, 2020 – The California Endowment and its President and CEO Robert K. Ross, are looking for young people – ages 15-21 – living in California to serve on its President’s Youth Council (PYC). The President’s Youth Council is a body of youth ambassadors from across California that serves in partnership with the CEO of The California Endowment to ultimately shape The Endowment’s investments and culture. As ambassadors, the PYC members provide community perspective by centering youth voices to cultivate narrative and systems change through storytelling to improve the health of underserved communities across California. Selected PYC members will:
- Serve a three-year term as thought partners by providing youth perspective in advancing health equity and health justice campaigns.
- Serve as representatives of the youth leadership council of The California Endowment.
- Participate in leadership and professional development opportunities to strengthen leadership skills to help youth be more effective advocates for their communities.
- Gain access to networking and mentorship opportunities with The California Endowment’s President & CEO and staff.
- Support the connection of youth to regional, state and national youth empowerment campaigns for social justice and addressing the needs of youth and their communities.
The PYC is seeking young people residing in the Central Valley, Inland Empire, Eastern Coachella Valley, Del Norte, San Francisco, San Jose (San Mateo/East Palo Alto), San Diego, Central Coast, and Orange County. While there is preference for applications from these areas, applications from youth in other areas and neighborhoods are welcome.
Applicants who identify as Native American, Black, African, Southeast Asian, Pacific Islander, Queer and/or Trans youth are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants who are system-involved youth and/or formerly incarcerated, undocumented, and youth from other disenfranchised and rural communities are also strongly encouraged to apply. Up to five new PYC members will be selected.
The deadline for applications is Monday, June 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM PDT. Please review the links below for more information about the PYC.
Click here for the application overview
Click here for the application
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the President’s Youth Council
Click here to visit the President’s Youth Council Webpage
The California Endowment, a private, statewide health foundation, was established in 1996 to expand access to, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental affordable improvements in the health status of all Californians. The Endowment challenges the conventional wisdom that medical settings and individual choices are solely responsible for people’s health. At its core, The Endowment believes that health happens in neighborhoods, schools, and with prevention. Learn more at www.calendow.org.