SAN ANDREAS, Calif. March 10, 2020 – On March 10, 2020, following the informational update to the Board of Supervisors regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Calaveras Public Health received confirmation that two members of a family in Copperopolis tested positive for COVID-19. Their exposure to COVID-19 occurred outside of Calaveras County.
One of those community members is a child, who is currently enrolled at Copperopolis Elementary School. Public Health officials are coordinating with local schools on further actions. The family has remained isolated at home since this investigation began. Public Health is identifying persons who may have had close personal contact with these individuals, including friends or family members. Close personal contacts identified during this investigation will be quarantined.
“With the discovery of these new cases, we may see additional cases of COVID-19 in the community,” said Dr. Dean Kelaita, Calaveras County Health Officer. The Health Officer will also declare a public health emergency effective 4:00PM on March,10, 2020. Calaveras Public Health continues to recommend that the public do the following to protect themselves and others from respiratory illnesses:
- Stay home from work or school and limit contact with others if you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean surfaces that are touched often, like toys and doorknobs.
“We are urging older people and people with serious medical conditions – like heart disease, lung disease, and diabetes – to take extra steps to protect yourself from COVID-19,” said Dr. Kelaita.
These high-risk groups should:
- Stay at home and avoid crowds as much as possible.
- Get food brought to your house by friends, family, or neighbors.
- Have a plan if you get sick.
- Stay in touch with family, friends, and neighbors.
- Have a back-up person if your caregiver gets sick.
Calaveras Public Health will continue to collaborate with State and Federal partners to monitor for new cases of COVID-19 and provide updates to the public regularly. Testing will continue for those who meet the current testing guidelines. Information about COVID-19, including symptoms to be aware of, can be found on the Calaveras Public Health website at calaveraspublichealth.com or by calling Calaveras Public Health at (209) 754-6460.