GRASS VALLEY, Calif. July 11, 2017 – Construction work will begin on July 15, 2017 on Brunswick Road south of East Bennett Road to repair damaged portions of the roadway.

Due to the first series of atmospheric river events that hit Nevada County, a section of southbound Brunswick Road south of East Bennett Street began to settle. As these storms continued through Nevada County, this portion of road continued to settle and slip. A portion of the southbound lane was closed in early February, as this portion of road had settled by more than 14 inches. Staff believes a major contributor to the road failure was due to excessive ground water saturating the road fill material used when the road was built more than 50 years ago.

Earlier this summer the county completed emergency stabilization and repairs to Brunswick Road that included installation of horizontal drains. These drains helped relieve some of the hydrostatic pressure on the fill to minimize the risk of continued settlement/slip and allow for the permanent repairs to begin this month.

The proposed contract will construct the permanent repairs that include the installation of a 300-foot long French drain on the east side of the roadway. The drain will be approximately 16 feet deep and will outlet to the west side of the roadway along the toe of the existing slope. The project will also remove approximately 300 feet of roadway fill approximately 8 feet in depth, rebuild the failed fill section with new fill, and repave the damaged area.

Due to the extensive road repairs and roadway stability and safety issues during construction, Brunswick Road will be closed to thru traffic from Highway 174 to Greenhorn Road / East Bennett Road. Construction is scheduled to begin on July 17, 2017 and be completed on or before August 11, 2017. Detour signs will be erected prior to the closure to direct thru traffic around the construction area.

Hansen Brothers will perform the repairs at an estimated cost of $635,300. The county continues to work with Caltrans and the Federal Highways Administration to seek reimbursement for the proposed work.