Photo Alex Parker, YubaNet

NEVADA CITY, Calif. October 25, 2017 – Property owners affected by the McCourtney or Lobo fires in Nevada County are eligible for free debris removal by CalRecycle. A public meeting on Monday focused on the Fire Debris Removal Program available to residents with homes or outbuildings destroyed and the expected timeline for removal.

Environmental Health is coordinating assistance with the clean-up of lost or damaged properties. In order to provide this assistance, a Right of Entry Permit must be completed and signed by the property owner.

According to Nevada County Environmental Health Director Amy Irani, CalRecycle will do what is called an “ash foot print” to determine the parcel area affected by the fire. This assessment is separate from assessments conducted by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. CalRecycle will provide the free removal of debris, affected concrete slabs. Soil will be removed as well as tested for safety. The work will be done by local contractors.

60 days of services planned

CalRecycle will be setting up a call center and currently Environmental Health has uploaded all of the Right of Entry completed forms to CalRecycle for their database and call center.  The call center will notify the owner(s) of properties 24-48 hours prior to coming on-site to begin remediation.

Environmental Health is the point of contact for any home owners who have not filed a Right of Entry form and wish to have CalRecycle remediate their property.  Interested homeowners affected by the fire that have not already filled out a form can stop by the CDA Kiosk at the Nevada County Rood Center any time and Environmental Health will be available to assist them with the paperwork.

CalRecycle is hoping to begin remedial work the first week of November as they have 60 days to work with Nevada, Butte and Yuba counties on cleanup.

Additional resources

Connect with Services

Nevada County wants to keep everyone informed as resources are secured to help community members recover from the Lobo and McCourtney fires. If you have suffered property damage from the fires, please contact  (530) 265-1218 so Nevada County can get your contact information and keep you informed.

Nevada County Building Department

The Building Department has removed all County fees for lost who lost or had damage to their homes during the Lobo and McCourtney fires. They are assisting fire victims through the rebuilding process, and have created permitting information on manufactured, new residence, grading, and accessory structure permitting.

Nevada County Assessor’s Department

The Assessor’s Department if offering Property Tax Relief to those who lost or has damage to their property due to the fires. Fill out a Calamity Reassessment Claim Form and return to the Assessor’s Office by December 11th, 2017. Property owners can also choose to delay the payment of the December 11th, 2017 first installment of their 2017/18 property tax bill.

Nevada County Department of Social Services: Eligibility

All Penn Valley and Rough and Ready CalFresh households have automatically received replacement CalFresh benefits on their EBT cards for the month of October. Due to the recent fires and to assist those not able to store/prepare food, hot and prepared foods can be purchased with CalFresh EBT cards now through November 15th, 2017.

If you lost food because of power outages during the October  Wildfires, please work with the Nevada County Department of Social Services before November 8th, 2017 to receive replacement CalFresh benefits.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Nevada County was approved for FEMA’s Individual Assistance due to our local wildfires. Fire victims can register online, or by calling (800) 621-3362. The program works on a case-by-case basis to provide fire victims assistance, such as temporary housing or financial assistance with home repairs or replacement after being displaced by a disaster, by linking them with other resources. For more information about Individual Assistance process, view FEMA’s Sequence of Delivery flow chart.

California Department of Social Services

The California Department of Social Services (CDSS)is helping fire victims sign-up for the State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP). This program can help supplement up to $10,000 if a uninsured or under-insured fire victim maxes out their resources and support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and their Individuals and Households Program (IHP). There is no separate application for SSGP, FEMA will automatically transmit your application to SSGP if you have reached the maximum IHP assistance. For more information, view the DCSS flyer on their State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP).

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

The California DMV is waiving fees or penalties for replacement state identification or registration for fire victims, including duplicate driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration and title, and disabled person parking placards. In addition, fire victims can acquire substitute license plates and stickers, vehicle disposal paperwork, and driver record printouts, as well as process a change of address. To register for free replacements, fire victims will need to fill out the DMV’s Statement of Facts form for vehicle registrations or a Transmittal Form for identification replacements and work with our local DMV office.

For replacement birth certificates, death certificates, or marriage licenses issues in Nevada County, please contact the Clerk-Recorder.

Small Business Administration

The Small Business Administration (SBA) will be available to meet with residents regarding disaster recovery loans starting Monday at the Rood Center, 950 Maidu Avenue in Nevada City, in the Coyote Conference Room near the Community Development Agency lobby.  The SBA provides low interest federal disaster loans to businesses and homeowners to replace property or to rebuild or repair structures, and to renters to replace personal property lost in the fire. SBA representatives will be available Monday through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. starting October 23rd.

Contractors State License Board

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) protects California consumers by licensing and regulating the state’s construction industry. Following a disaster, CSLB warns consumers about the dangers of hiring unlicensed contractors and the possibility of unlicensed contractors taking advantage of those trying to rebuild quickly.

CSLB provides a database where you can check a contractors license status and history. You can report a fraudulent contractor by calling CSLB at (916) 255-2925.

California Department of Insurance

The California Department of Insurance helps homeowners and renters understand their right and their claims handling after a disaster hits. For the October California Wildfires, they have a notice for Voluntary Claims Handling Reforms for Recent Wildfires that provides helpful information on insurance claims after a disaster. They also have general information guides on their website, including their Home Inventory GuideResidential Insurance: Homeowners and Renters guide, Residential Property Claims Guide, and Don’t Get Burned After a Disaster.

California Franchise Tax Board

After a disaster, the California Franchise Tax Board can help fire victims to claim a state tax deduction and to waive fees for both personal and business Tax Returns. Find more information on their Disaster Loss web page or in the Disaster Loss: How to Claim a State Tax Deduction guide.


For veterans who had documents destroyed in the October Wildfires, CalVet is helping to replace any lost documents including discharge papers (DD214), and to assist veterans seeking assistance and helping to access benefits. Find more information on their California Wildfire Information for Veterans web page.

If you have a CalVet Home Loan and were evacuated or experienced property loss, please contact York Field Services 24-hour hotline at (800) 626-1613 to begin the claim process.  The CalVet homeowner insurance also provides for temporary living expenses for evacuations.

California Employment Development Department

The California Employment Development Department (EDD) can help fire victims with claim filing assistance for unemployment, as well as help connect residents to job search resources. Find more information on their Disaster Unemployment Assistance web page.

Disaster Recovery Center

Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for Nevada, Butte, and Yuba counties is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily until November 20th at the Yuba County Administrative Office in Marysville. The DRC is another resource for residents affected by the Lobo and McCourtney fires and serves as a one-stop-shop for disaster assistance.

[Resource list source: Nevada County LAC resources]