How the Partial Federal Government Shutdown Affects Nevada County

January 14, 2019 – The United States Federal Government is in the midst of a partial government shutdown. A government shutdown happens when Congress does not pass funding bills or the president fails to sign them before the previous appropriations run out. Congress has already funded about 75 percent of the federal government through September 2019, leaving 25 percent unfunded. As a result nine out of fifteen federal departments have closed or reduced operations. Nevada County day-to-day operations are not expected to be dramatically affected, however federal partnership agencies are expected to have a reduction of operational capabilities during this time causing a delay in payments and requested information.

Health and Human Services

Advertisement

Nevada County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) related programs are expected to be impacted should the partial government shutdown last through March. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP), Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, and Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) are expected to be funded through February. The State of California has communicated that they have funds to continue Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutrition assistance through the end of March and authorized vendors have been instructed to continue receiving WIC food instruments. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) homeless assistance grants, supportive housing for veterans and housing for people with AIDS will continue to be funded even where current-year funds have not been appropriated. HUD counseling agencies will be unable to update agency profile information, submit activity data, or otherwise utilize the functionality in their Housing and Community Services (HCS) division thus causing further delays in receiving information regarding grant application decisions.

Public Works

Public Works is not expected to experience any known delays on the Donner Pass Road Project. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) remains open and construction work should continue on federal-aid highway and bridge projects, however some activities will be placed on hold.

Sheriff’s Office

The United States Marshals Service (USMS) operates under annual appropriations and is affected during the government shutdown. Reimbursement payments for federal inmates is now delayed, however the Sherriff’s Office is still receiving inmates into the jail and expects to be reimbursed once future appropriations are passed.

Office of Emergency Services

Nevada County Office of Emergency Services primarily receives funds from the Department of Homeland Security. This office is not impacted as funds are already allocated while funding for disaster recovery efforts such as the Winter Storms of 2017 has already been obligated.

Nevada County departments will continue to monitor how the partial government shutdown is affecting operations and programs, and will continue delivering services as normal with as little impact as possible.