Revisit-Tin Animal House: Rust to Roost Art Project

tin-art-logoNEVADA CITY, Calif. October 25, 2016 – If you’re old enough to remember the movie Animal House, or not, and if you liked the movie, or not, you’ll want to know about KVMR and Nevada County Art’s Animal House – Revisitin’: From Rust to Roost project. Individuals, teams, and organizations are invited create a shelter for a critter (dogs, cats, chickens, snakes, rabbits, small humans, etc.) for a live and silent auction to be held in March, 2017. The only catch is that at least a portion of the shelter must be built with the old tin left over from the old Bridge Street sheds where the new KVMR building now stands.

“The thing that’s great is that you don’t have to be an artist to compete. You can be a builder or someone who likes doing crafts,” said KVMR Board President Diane McIntire.

Advertisement

Applications to submit a piece for the auction are available at the KVMR offices, 120 Bridge Street, Nevada City, as well as online at kvmr.org and nevadacountyarts.org. (click on the Call to Artist button). Applications are due at the end of the month, by 5 pm on October 31.

Creators of the shelters will receive 30% of the auction price for the piece, as well as a letter thanking them for the donation of the remaining 70% to KVMR (53%) and NCArts (17%). “We didn’t want to ask our wonderful artist community to donate their creative work for free for this project. We wanted it to benefit artists too!” said Brian Buckley, vice president of NCArts.

The application forms asks for a quick sketch or representational image of the proposed shelter. The show is juried, and auction participants will be chosen in November. In late February and early March, the shelters will be placed in business locations in Grass Valley and Nevada City prior to the actual auction and party in the Miners Foundry on March 26. Silent Auction bids will be taken for each shelter while they are on display at the businesses.

Said McIntire, “A lot of us have pets in our life, so you could have a bird house, a dog house, cat house, or a small playhouse for kids. One potential submission was even proposing a mobile home trailer for dogs!”

Artists and makers are encouraged to listen to the soft spot in their hearts for our furry, feathered or fun friends, and exercise their creativity in designing a unique habitat just for them. For more information or an application go to kvmr.org or nevadacountyarts.org (be sure to click on the “Calls to Artist” button.). Applications are also available at the KVMR office, 120 Bridge Street, Nevada City.