Find this information useful? YubaNet is powered by your subscription
Rocklin, Calif. May 31, 2018 – Fourteen of Sierra College’s Career and Technical Programs earned California Community Colleges’ Strong Workforce Stars recognition for their success in improving student employment and wage outcomes. The Registered Nursing Program met all three criteria and achieved the Gold Star level. The numbers are impressive, of nursing graduates at Sierra:
- 100% of are employed in a job similar to their field of study;
- 100% of students attained the regional living wage;
- All together, they showed a 226% increase in earnings.
Strong Workforce Stars is an annual recognition for career education programs, also known as career technical education, within the California Community Colleges system whose graduates show significant gains in factors important for advancing social mobility – a substantial increase in earnings, attainment of a living wage and a job closely matched with the field of study.
“We feel it is very important to look beyond earning the degree or the certificate and make sure our students have relevant skills that translate to good jobs,” commented Willy Duncan, Sierra College Superintendent/President. “We are very appreciative of our industry partners, who are actively engaged in our career education programs and ensure our students have the skills employers need. This recognition, as part of the Strong Workforce Initiative, shows our students are workforce ready.”
The Silver Stars programs (meeting two metrics) are:
- Welding: 164% increase in earnings and 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study.
- Drafting and Engineering Support, Mechanical/Civil: 82% of students attained the regional living wage and 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study.
- Drafting and Engineering Support, Architectural/Civil: 80% of students attained the regional living wage and 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study.
Bronze stars programs (meeting one metric) are:
- Industrial Electronics: 50% increase in earnings.
- Business and Commerce, General: 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study.
- Business Management: 100% increase in earnings.
- Child Development-Early Care and Education: 59% increase in earnings.
- Child Development Administration and Management: 58% increase in earnings.
- Energy Systems Technology: 79% of students attained the regional living wage.
- Office Technology-Office Computer Applications: 57% increase in earnings.
- Graphic Art and Design: 51% increase in earnings.
- Corrections: 74% increase in earnings.
- Fire Technology: 83% of students attained the regional living wage.
“Strong Workforce Stars career education programs are proven to help Californians increase their earning power,” said Van Ton-Quinlivan, executive vice chancellor for Workforce & Digital Futures. “With the introduction of levels this year, we are able to highlight those programs that are seeing significant results, as well as those that are on the rise toward even greater success.”
For more information about the Sierra’s go to:https://www.sierracollege.edu/academics/divisions/cte/cte-programs.php
Sierra College District is rising to the needs of our community. Sierra College serves 3200 square miles of Northern CA with campuses in Roseville, Rocklin, Grass Valley, and Truckee. With approximately 125 degree and certificate programs, Sierra College is ranked first in Northern California (Sacramento north) for transfers to four year Universities, offers career/technical training, and classes for upgrading job skills. Sierra graduates can be found in businesses and industries throughout the region. More information at www.sierracollege.edu