Find this information useful? YubaNet is powered by your subscription
St. Helena August 10, 2019 – CAL FIRE Law Enforcement Officers have determined the cause of the Golf Fire that started on Thursday, August 8th, burning approximately 20 acres. The fire is located in Lake County in the area of Soda Bay Road and Golf Drive in the community of Kelseyville.
CAL FIRE investigators were immediately dispatched to the Golf Fire and began working to determine the origin and cause of the fire. After a meticulous and thorough investigation, CAL FIRE has determined that the Golf Fire was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette.
CAL FIRE would like to remind the public to “Put It Out”. When needing to discard a cigarette use a deep sturdy ashtray and place it away from anything that can burn. Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily. Before you throw away any cigarette butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing them in water or sand is the best way to do that. Never throw cigarettes out of vehicles, always discard them in an ashtray or a container designed for cigarette disposal.