Sign up for our free fire, storm and safety newsletter to receive the latest news about wildfires and public safety updates from our region.

SACRAMENTO December 11, 2017 – Secretary of State Alex Padilla announced today the launch of cannabizfile, a new online portal with useful information about cannabis-related business filings with the Secretary of State’s office. Entrepreneurs seeking to start a cannabis-related business in California will need to register their business entity with the Secretary of State.

“The first stop when starting any business in California, including a commercial cannabis business starting in 2018, is the Secretary of State’s office,” said Secretary of State Alex Padilla. “Our new cannabizfile portal makes the process for starting a cannabis business easier to navigate for entrepreneurs. The new site also includes information about registering a business, trademark, or service mark. Our new ‘Starting a Cannabis Business’ brochure can provide a starting point for new entrepreneurs seeking to quickly get their business up and running.”
The Secretary of State is the filing agency for all business entity documents, including those relating to newly formed cannabis businesses. Those seeking to obtain a license for cannabis business entities such as Corporations, Limited Liability Companies (LLC), Limited Partnerships (LP) or limited Liability Partnerships (LLP) are required to register with the Secretary of State before applying for any license(s) with other local and state agencies.
Customers wishing to convert from a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation or cooperative corporation to a for-profit entity must also file with the Secretary of State. Beginning January 1, 2018, customers may register their cannabis-related trademark or service mark with the Secretary of State’s office. In addition, operators wishing to convert from a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation or cooperative corporation to a for-profit entity must also register this change with the Secretary of State.
The information provided on the cannabizfile online portal is meant to act as a guide relating to requirements with other local or state agencies and is not exhaustive. The licensing authorities for the State of California are the Bureau of Cannabis Control within the Department of Consumer Affairs, the Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch with the California Department of Public Health and CalCannabis within the California Department of Food & Agriculture. Filing organizational documents with the California Secretary of State alone does not provide a business with the necessary licenses to conduct commercial cannabis-related activities.
Information about licensing can be found on the statewide California Cannabis Portal.