Grass Valley – BriarPatch Food Co-op is participating in Plastic Free July, a global movement that empowers millions of people to be part of the solution to the plastic pollution problem.
Worldwide single-use plastics create billions of tons of waste each year but learning to make slight changes can add up to big improvements. All month long, the Co-op will be offering tips and resources to help folks make healthy new habits, save money and reduce single use plastic waste.
Each year, eight million tons of plastic waste enters the oceans every year. By 2050, models project there will be more pounds of plastic than fish in the oceans. While the statistics can feel overwhelming, there are simple habits that everyone can make to reduce the plastic waste stream.
Here’s what The Patch is doing during July:
- The Bulk Department is reducing plastic by offering reusable bags and containers, as well as paper bags, compostable deli packaging and produce bags. Shoppers are encouraged to bring clean bags and containers from home to fill.
- Providing shelf tags throughout the store next to Staff Picks of favorite plastic free products.
- Providing water packaged in aluminum and glass bottles, refillable water bottles for purchase and a water filling station.
- Posting tips and resources on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- The Deli Department offers straw-free cups for both hot and cold beverages and .25 cent discount when you bring in your reusable cup. Several options are available for sale, too!
Here are three easy things that everyone can do:
- Bring reusable bags and refillable containers when you shop.
- Invest in a stainless-steel water bottle and reusable coffee mug.
- Use re-usable straws and utensils.
BriarPatch’s commitment to reducing plastic waste is year-round and the Co-op set an ambitious goal to reduce single-use plastic packaging 40% by 2025. Last year, The Patch reduced in-house plastic packaging by 7% and is looking to make additional progress navigating issues in packaging supply chains.
What is Plastic Free July?
Plastic Free July is a key initiative of the Plastic Free Foundation; whose vision is to see a world free of plastic waste. More information and ways to get involved can be found on their website at plasticfreejuly.org.
Learn more about BriarPatch Food Co-op: https://www.briarpatch.coop/