Auburn, Calif. April 30, 2019 – Effective 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 1st 2019 the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit will require dooryard burning permits for residential burning within Nevada, Yuba, and Placer Counties.

Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. To find out if it is a permissive burn day, contact your local Air Pollution Control District (APCD) or Air Quality Management District (AQMD).

Placer County- Placer County APCD (800) 998-2876 (BURN) for landlines outside the City of Auburn or (530) 889-6868 within the city of Auburn.

Nevada County- Northern Sierra AQMD (530) 274-7928 or (530) 582-1027

Yuba County- Feather River AQMD (530) 741-6299

  • The Unit Chief will implement a burn ban when weather conditions warrant.
    Only natural vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
    Household garbage may NOT be burned.
    Do not burn on windy days.
    Burning can only be done during permissive times.
    You must have a signed permit in your possession while you are burning and you are responsible for maintaining control of your fire at all times.
    Possession of a permit does not protect you if your fire escapes. You are still liable for any suppression costs.
    If a fire escapes your control, you should call 9-1-1. Wildfires can spread very quickly. A fast response from the fire department can reduce suppression cost considerably. Remember, you may be billed for suppression costs, so the sooner you seek help the better the outcome may be.
    Simple common sense can greatly reduce the chance of an escape. If you don’t fee lit’s safe to conduct a burn, then don’t!

Burn permits can be obtained from your local fire department. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) also offers online residential burn permits for residents living within the state responsibility area of Nevada, Yuba, Placer and Sierra counties effective immediately.

Applicants can access the website at, watch the mandatory video which reviews burning requirements and safety tips, fill in the required fields, submit the form and a dooryard burn permit will be created. The applicant must then print the permit. Permits are valid for the calendar year in which they are issued and must be reissued annually on or after January 1st of each year.

Changing conditions may necessitate an early burn suspension. Please keep informed about burn restrictions by visiting our website at