Sign up for our free fire, storm and safety newsletter to receive the latest news about wildfires and public safety updates from our region.
COLFAX May 1, 2019 – Caltrans is resuming traffic-interfering construction work on the Interstate 80 Truck Climbing Lane near Colfax. Construction work was suspended for winter except for retaining wall and slope reconstruction work, which continued as weather permitted.
Eastbound and westbound motorists should anticipate traffic delays beginning Wednesday, May 1 due to intermittent lane and shoulder closures for the duration of the project, which is anticipated to be completed in June.
For the next few weeks, motorists should anticipate westbound work from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. CHP will be conducting traffic-slowing, “rolling block” escorts for westbound traffic. Eastbound motorists can anticipate reduced lanes from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 5 a.m. to noon Friday.
Eastbound I-80 near Colfax has a sustained 6 percent uphill grade that causes semi-trucks, RVs and buses to slow down to 30 miles per hour or less during the climb. Caltrans is constructing the three-mile truck climbing lane to allow these vehicles to climb the grade without blocking traffic.
COMPLETED WORK INCLUDES:
- Truck Climbing Lane: Completed the widening work for 3 miles of eastbound truck climbing lane.
- Cape Horn Undercrossing: Removed, widened, and reconstructed the Cape Horn Bridge undercrossing.
- Shoulder widening: Widened inside and outside eastbound shoulders to 10 feet in the area known as the Colfax Narrows.
- Retaining wall: Constructed a 1,100-foot retaining wall separating Magra Road from eastbound I-80.
- Gillis Fault retaining wall: Installed 36 steel piles for the future retaining wall.
To date, Caltrans has removed more than 80,000 cubic yards of soil and rock from the active Gillis Fault zone and is in the process of building a retaining wall to help stabilize the cut slope near the fault area. Final construction plans include a new retaining wall, slope reconstruction, asphalt concrete overlay and permanent striping work.