November 30, 2020 – Color Me Human, a new nonprofit in Nevada County, has launched Fund the Fight for Racial Justice in Rural America, a crowdfunding campaign.
As you consider giving this holiday season, please consider giving to Color Me Human.
At Color Me Human we are working to dismantle systems of oppression within ourselves and within local institutions such as government, education, law enforcement, healthcare and arts & culture. Thousands of Black, Brown and Indigenous people here in Nevada County suffer from a lack of visibility, lack of representation, and a lack of services. We are passionate about remedying that.
We celebrate and elevate the voices, talents, and experiences of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. As people of color in a rural community, we face distinct challenges such as invisibility, erasure, isolation along with subtle and not-so-subtle reminders that we “don’t belong here”.
It’s necessary, now more than ever, to invest in the safety and health of rural communities of color so that we can build solidarity with one another, grow leadership capacity at every level, and educate our neighbors. Because although we are fewer in numbers, we are here. We deserve safety, representation, health and real belonging.
100% of your support will directly go to:
- Establishing Nevada County’s first Black, Indigenous, and People of Color Community Garden to increase access to fruits and vegetables in collaboration with local food advocates
- Building curriculum for our Social Justice Youth Leadership Program in partnership with the California Heritage Indigenous Research Project- CHIRP
- Offering educational opportunities to help our friends and neighbors in building racial literacy
- Develop a Community Relief Fund for families and individuals of color
- Furthering our efforts to work with county departments to build racial equity at a systemic level
To Fund the Fight for Racial Justice in Nevada County please visit our website at colormehuman.org