Sign up for our free fire, storm and safety newsletter to receive the latest news about wildfires and public safety updates from our region.
March 26, 2020—The Nevada County Registrar of Voters will continue to accept and process initiative petitions, even though the public counter is closed due to the COVID-19 crisis. Proponents may submit a petition by mail, by dropping off the petition in our drop box at the Rood Center, or by appointment under certain conditions.
US Mail: If you have a petition to submit to the Nevada County Registrar, our office strongly encourages you to do so by mail and to submit well ahead of the deadline. Our address is 950 Maidu Avenue Suite 210, Nevada City, CA 95959, attn: Petitions. Please indicate which petition you are submitting and your contact information so that we can confirm receipt and follow up with any questions.
Drop Box: The Rood Center has a drop box located in the parking lot facing the front of the building. It is normally used for ballot drop off and tax payment drop off. You may use that drop box to deliver a petition.
• On your envelope, please indicate which petition you are submitting and your contact information so that we can confirm receipt and follow up with any questions.
• You may need several envelopes to deliver your entire petition. If you use more than one envelope, please indicate the number of the envelope with total number of envelopes so that we make sure we got your entire submission (e.g., 1 of 3; 2 of 3; 3 of 3).
• After you drop off your petition, please send us an email to let us know to pick it up at email@example.com.
By Appointment: We can offer appointments on a case-by-case basis if the following conditions apply:
• It is too late to send the petition in the mail;
• Proponents contact us in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org; and
• Proponents are prepared to let our office know how many signatures and pages you are delivering. To limit in person contact, we ask that you help us expedite the process of delivering a petition.
Please note that the next deadline for proponents to file petitions is April 21, 2020. This and other deadlines can be found in Appendix A of the Statewide Initiative Guide:
For more about how other county election officials may be handling petitions, please refer to CCROV 20066 https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/ccrov/pdf/2020/march/20066jl.pdf and CCROV 20069
If you have any questions, please call 530-265-1298 or email email@example.com