NEVADA COUNTY, Calif. April 9, 2020 – YubaNet’s weekly Town Hall series continues today with a webinar on “The Small Outdoors,” how to use this time to get ready for Summer, Fire Season and more. Watch live now:

YouTube video

Additional Resources:

What can you do with the green waste from your yard?

Roll off Boxes

Eastern Nevada County

  • For residents who live within the Truckee Fire Protection District
  • While fund last, $75 rebate per 6-yard dumpster, maximum of 1 per household.
  • Available May- September only. These will sell out, so book in advance!
  • Delivered to property on Wednesday and retrieved full the following Wednesday.
  • Loose, green waste materials only – do not put in bags or other household material!
  • Call TTSD to order at (530) 583-7800
  • Rent 6-yard 20-yard, or 30-yard roll off boxes

Western Nevada County

  • Rent 20-yard, 30-yard, 40-yard roll off boxes by calling WM Customer Service: (530) 274-3090, or Email:, Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
  • Pool resources for the roll off boxes by cost-sharing with neighbor

Green Waste Carts

Town of Truckee

  • Opt-in to receive up to 3-yard waste carts by calling TTSD at (530) 583-7800.

Western Nevada County served by Waste Management

  • Opt-in for a 64 or 96 gallon cart, you may also opt in for a fee to receive bi-weekly green waste pickup

Take advantage of Fire Safe Council’s Chipping

The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will chip brush that is cleared from defensible space of any permanent structure, and/or 30’ from any roadside or driveway used for evacuation purposes. Fire Safe Council will be conducting chipping one day a week in the Truckee region starting this summer. More information here.

Utilize Free Neighborhood Drop off Days

Check with your homeowner’s association to see if there are planned green waste days for your neighborhood

Rent a chipper

Take advantage of green waste disposal and wood chip pick up

The Office of Emergency Services and Fire Safe Council are offering free residential green waste days this spring. Additional details will be available on and in the coming weeks.

Burn Piles

  • Check to see if it is a burn day in your area by visiting the Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District Burn Day Status webpage.
  • Secure your burn permit here:
  • Check with your Homeowner Association to see if you are permitted to burn in your neighborhood
  • Make sure you can burn in your jurisdiction. Burn piles are prohibited within city limits in Grass Valley and Nevada City.
  • What can be burned?
  • Dry, natural vegetation, grown on the property can still be burned outdoors in open piles unless prohibited by local ordinances. No household trash or garbage can be burned outdoors at residences.
  • Burning trash, garbage, plastic, and treated lumber is not allowed by local Air Quality Management Districts. 
  • What can be burned?
    • Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. Burning permits are only valid on “Permissive Burn Days” as determined by the State Air Resources Board or the local air district. To find out if it is a Burn Day, visit the Air Resources Board website to obtain the proper contact for your local air quality district.

Hire a licensed vendor to help with some of your defensible landscaping needs