Regular City Council Meeting Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Closed Session – 6:00 PM
Regular Meeting – 6:30 PM
City Hall – Beryl P. Robinson, Jr. Conference Room
317 Broad Street, Nevada City, CA 95959
Reinette Senum, Mayor
Duane Strawser, Council Member Erin Minett, Vice Mayor
David Parker, Council Member Valerie Moberg, Council Member
The City Council welcomes you to its meetings which are scheduled at 6:30 PM on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month. Your interest is encouraged and appreciated. This meeting is recorded on DVD and is televised on local public television Channel 17. Other special accommodations may be requested to the City Clerk 72 hours in advance of the meeting. Please turn off all cell phones or similar devices. Action may be taken on any agenda item. Agenda notices are available at City Hall. Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the City Hall at 317 Broad Street, Nevada City, CA during normal business hours.
ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC DESIRING TO ADDRESS THE COUNCIL ON ANY ITEM ON THIS AGENDA: After receiving recognition from the Mayor, give your name and address, and then your comments or questions. Please direct your remarks to the Councilmembers. In order that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please limit your comments to the specific item under discussion. All citizens will be afforded an opportunity to speak, consistent with their Constitutional rights. Time limits shall be at the Mayor’s discretion. IF YOU CHALLENGE the Council’s decision on any matter in court, you will be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the meeting or Public Hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered to the City Council at, or prior to, the meeting or Public Hearing.
CLOSED SESSION: 6:00 PM
Under Government Code Section 54950 members of the public are entitled to comment on the closed session agenda before the Council goes into closed session.
1. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 the City Manager, Catrina Olson and Consulting City Attorney, Hal DeGraw and Consulting City Attorney, Crystal Hodgson are requesting a closed session conference to confer on litigation involving the City in the case of Jacquelyn Sakioka, Successor in Interest to Estate of Ronson Sakioka v. State of California, County of Nevada, City of Nevada City and Genevieve Dungan, Nevada County Superior Court Case No. CU18-083228.
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 the City Manager, Catrina Olson, Consulting City Attorney, Hal DeGraw and Consulting City Attorney, Crystal Hodgson are requesting a closed session conference to confer on litigation involving the City in the case of Friends of Spring Street vs. Nevada City, et al., Nevada County Superior Court Case No. CIV 1304393, Appellate Case No. C081195.
3. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 the City Manager, Catrina Olson and Consulting City Attorney, Hal DeGraw and Consulting City Attorney, Crystal Hodgson are requesting a closed session conference to confer on litigation involving the City in the case of Peggy L. Parks v. the City of Nevada City, Nevada County Superior Court Case No. CU19-083760.
REGULAR MEETING – 6:30 PM – Call to Order
Roll Call: Mayor Senum, Vice Mayor Minett, Council Members Moberg, Parker and Strawser
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
PRESENTATIONS: “Bee Heroic” – Nikki Floria https://www.beeheroic.com
BUSINESS FROM THE FLOOR
1. PUBLIC COMMENT
Under Government Code Section 54954.3, members of the public are entitled to address the City Council concerning any item within the Nevada City Council’s subject matter jurisdiction. Comments on items NOT ON THE AGENDA are welcome at this time. Normally, public comments are limited to no more than three minutes each. Except for certain specific exceptions, the City Council is prohibited from discussing or taking action on any item not appearing on the posted agenda.
2. COUNCIL MEMBERS REQUESTED ITEMS AND COMMITTEE REPORTS:
3. CONSENT ITEMS:
All matters listed under the Consent Calendar are to be considered routine by the City Council and will be enacted by one motion in the form listed. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless, before the City Council votes on the motion to adopt, members of the Council, City staff or the public request specific items to be removed from the Consent Calendar for separate discussion and action.
A. Subject: Accounts Payable Activity Report – June, July and August 2019
Recommendation: Receive and file.
B. Subject: Award of Contract for Storm Drain Improvements on East Broad Street Recommendation: Pass Resolution 2019-XX, a Resolution of the City Council of the City of Nevada City to award a contract to PSCE in the amount of $27,354 plus $3,000 contingencies for Storm Drain Improvements on East Broad Street in Nevada City and authorize the Mayor to sign.
4. APPROVAL OF ACTION MINUTES:
A. City Council Meeting – August 28, 2019
5. DEPARTMENT REQUESTED ACTION ITEMS AND UPDATE REPORTS:
A. Subject: Results of Hazardous Vegetation Ordinance Enforcement on Private and Public Property
Recommendation: Receive and file.
B. Subject: Nevada City Residential Chipping Pilot Program Update
Recommendation: Continue offering the residential chipping program with minor changes to application.
C. Subject: High/Low Siren Pilot Project Specific to Fire Evacuations
Recommendation: Receive and file.
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS:
A. Subject: Ordinance for the Regulation of Wireless Telecommunication Facilities in the City
1. Adopt Resolution 2019-XX, finding that adoption of the Ordinance Amendment is Exempt to amend Chapter 17.150 and renaming it “Wireless Telecommunication Facilities in the City” (“Ordinance”) is exempt from review under the California Environmental Quality Act pursuant to California Code of Regulations Section 15061 (b)(3) – Activity is not subject to CEQA because there is no possibility the Ordinance will have a significant effect on the environment.
2. Hold a Public Hearing and introduce by title only, and waive full reading of the Ordinance, for first reading of an Ordinance amending Chapter 17.150 and renaming it “Wireless Telecommunication Facilities in the City”.
7. OLD BUSINESS:
8. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Subject: Priority List of Nevada City’s Technological Hardware and Software Needs
Recommendation: Provide staff direction on proceeding with investigating the cost and funding options for the top five citywide priority technological needs with attached timelines for implementation.
A. Subject: Thank you for your common sense, resident Susan Reynolds
11. CITY MANAGER’S REPORT:
Editor’s note: Supporting documents for the agenda items can be found here.