We cannot live without water. I am seeking re-election to protect our watershed and ensure our community’s water security in the face of multiple threats from drought and wildfire.
As your Nevada Irrigation District (NID) Director for the past four years, I have dedicated myself to protecting our precious water resources. I have worked to ensure we have a safe, clean, affordable, and reliable water supply for our homes, farms and businesses.
It’s been my honor to work side-by-side with you, the residents and farmers of District 1, during my first term in office. Together, we have:
- Implemented innovative forest thinning, meadow restoration, and flammable fuel reduction programs. These actions will yield a more sustainable and resilient water supply in the face of a changing climate;
- Hired a new General Manager who shares my commitment to financial accountability and transparency. We’ve created a healthier organization, retained our dedicated workforce, and are overhauling NID’s financial and budget processes;
- Ensured all interested groups – farmers, environmental, business, and construction — have a seat at the table and that their voices are heard; and
- Insisted NID use the best science and data driven information as the basis for decision-making, including the Plan for Water.
As a 42-year Nevada County resident, wife and mother of five with three grandchildren, and avid gardener, I’m asking for your vote for re-election on November 8, 2022. I have the leadership skills and business experience to keep NID fiscally responsible and accountable.
As a former County Planning Commissioner, I have the land use expertise to help manage NID’s 10,000 acres. My business experience handling over $1 Billion in assets will be put to good use overseeing NID’s $90 million budget. I will make sound decisions that support NID’s hardworking staff and avoid burdensome debt.
If you re-elect me to serve as your representative, I will work hard to:
- Extend water lines to neighborhoods where there are none, providing treated water and fire hydrants;
- Provide real incentives to conserve residential and agricultural water to withstand drought;
- Protect our watershed and fireproof NID’s aging infrastructure;
- Support our local farmers and ranchers; and
- Respond directly to you promptly, solving problems, and getting your questions answered.
I’m proud to have the endorsement of former NID Director Nancy Weber; County Supervisors Heidi Hall and Hardy Bullock; current NID Directors Karen Hull, Chris Bierwagen, and Rich Johanson; local farmers Tim Van Wagner and Aleta Barrett; community leaders like YubaDocs’ Dr. Roger Hicks, John Volz, Lisa Swarthout, Terry McAteer, Walt Abbey, Mike Snegg, Chris Owen, Kathryn McCamant and many others. You can read the full list of endorsements on my web site: www.Ricki4nid.com.
Statement submitted by the Committee to Re-Elect Ricki Heck for NID 2022.