The Nevada County Office of Emergency Services(OES) would like to remind residents that free sand and sandbags are available at three locations to assist in preparing for severe weather.
Next to the Nevada County Warehouse on the corner of Highway 49 and East Broad Street in Nevada City
Penn Valley Fire Protection District located at 10513 Spenceville Road in Penn Valley
North San Juan Community Hall located at 10057 Reservoir Street in North San Juan [thank you Tracy]
Residents must bring their own shovel to fill the sandbags with sand. We do request that residents only take what they plan to use for protection of their personal property.
Other reminders for severe weather preparedness:
If you are operating a vehicle, please review the following tips;
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding
- Do not attempt to drive (or walk) across running water more that a few inches deep
- Avoid driving in water that downed electrical or power lines have fallen in
- Avoid hydroplaning by driving slowly and keeping your tires inflated correctly
Don’t forget to accomplish the following:
- Clear rain gutters
- Repair roof leaks
- Cut away tree branches that could fall on your house
An important reminder for storm preparedness is to monitor a forecasted severe weather event. This can be accomplished by monitoring the local media or visiting the many weather forecast services available via the internet.