Find this information useful? YubaNet is powered by your subscription
PLACER/NEVADA COUNTIES August 12, 2019 – Caltrans is set to begin pavement work on Interstate 80 from the Troy Undercrossing to Donner Pass Road in Truckee to address rutting caused by heavy trucks traveling in the Sierra during winter months when chains are required.
Work on the $7.5 million project is scheduled to begin Wednesday, August 14. $5 million in funding support is provided by Senate Bill 1 (SB 1), the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017.
“This segment of Interstate 80 in the Sierra experiences all weather conditions including frequent chain usage during winter storms,” said Caltrans District 3 Director Amarjeet S. Benipal. “With SB 1 funding, Caltrans is able to address the wear and tear caused by chains and heavy commercial truck traffic as goods are transported throughout the state and beyond.”
Interstate 80 is a federally designated primary highway freight system with $4.7 million-plus in commercial goods transported every hour over the Summit. Daily traffic movement over Donner Summit includes 30,000 passenger vehicles and 6,200 commercial vehicles.
Approximately 14 miles of asphalt concrete rutting will be rehabilitated eastbound and westbound with a polyester concrete inlay, a durable material that has been proven to withstand heavy vehicle traffic in all weather conditions. Additionally, 6-inch recessed striping will be replaced in areas affected by rutting to increase motorist awareness during poor weather conditions.
Intermittent lane and shoulder closures are permitted July 1 through September 1:
- 9 p.m. Sunday through 9 a.m. Monday
- 3 p.m. through 9 a.m. Monday through Wednesday
- 3 p.m. Wednesday through 10 a.m. Thursday
- 5 p.m. Thursday through 9 a.m. Friday
- Shoulder closures are permitted 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and 10 a.m. through 5 p.m. Thursday
- 9 p.m. Sunday through noon Monday
- 6 p.m. through noon Monday through Wednesday
- 6 p.m. Wednesday through 11 a.m. Thursday
- 7 p.m. Thursday through 9 a.m. Friday
- Shoulder closures are permitted noon to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and 11 a.m. through 7 p.m. Thursday
Intermittent lane and shoulder closures are permitted September 3 through June 30, 2020:
I-80 Westbound & Eastbound
- Around the clock from 9 a.m. Sunday through 11 a.m. Friday
Intermittent full ramp closures are permitted:
I-80 Westbound & Eastbound on- and off-ramps
- 9 p.m. through 7 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights
The construction project was awarded to Truesdell Corporation of Arizona with 95 working days designated for the project. Caltrans is aiming for completion in late November 2019. Weather or unexpected events may delay or prolong the work.
SB 1 provides an additional $5 billion each year in state and local funding to maintain and optimize California’s transportation system. To date thanks to SB 1, Caltrans has completed 102 projects, repaired or replaced nearly 1,500 lane miles, and improved or replaced 115 bridges.
Caltrans is committed to conducting its business in a fully transparent manner and detailing its progress to the public. For complete details on SB 1, visit www.rebuildingca.ca.gov.