Washington, D.C. Oct. 21, 2018 – This morning The New York Times reported that the Trump-Pence administration is planning a dramatic government-wide move to erase civil rights protections for transgender people, by narrowly defining gender identity, based on a person’s assigned sex at birth. This runs counter to guidance from respected medical groups, like the American Academy of Pediatrics. The proposal could roll back existing protections for more than one million people. The effort is designed to undermine civil rights under current law, including Title IX and the Affordable Care Act.
Since its inception, the Trump-Pence administration has been working to strip away the health care, dignity, and humanity of LGBTQ communities. Today’s announcement follows nearly two years of anti-LGBTQ actions from the Trump-Pence administration, including banning transgender people from military service, creating of an office that fosters discrimination against LGBTQ people, refusing to count LGBTQ people in the 2020 census, and more.
YubaNet is powered by your subscription
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
“This policy is cruel and discriminatory by design. This move would hurt millions of transgender people’s ability to live free from discrimination and access critical services like health care. Congress must reject this discriminatory agenda. Planned Parenthood calls on Congress to fight against these inhumane attacks by passing the Equality Act, which would rightfully cement civil rights protections for LGBTQ communities. Every person, no matter their gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation deserves the right to freedom and equality under the law. We will not accept anything less.”
Planned Parenthood is proud to provide quality, compassionate health care to transgender men, women, adolescents, and gender nonconforming people. Our services and programs are open to people of all gender identities and sexual orientations. Our goal, every day, is to make each person who comes through our doors feel welcome, comfortable, and cared for while providing the best possible care.
Overview of the Trump-Pence administration’s attacks on LGBTQ people:
- In March of 2017, the U.S. Census Bureau announced it would not include LGBTQ questions in the 2020 census — leaving LGBTQ communities underrepresented. Last fall, the Department of Health and Human Services removed all lesbian and bisexual health resources from its women’s health website.
- In July of 2017, Trump tried to ban transgender people from the military. Although it was blocked in court, Trump announced yet, another attempt just last month.
- In December 2017, the administration directed The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to remove a list of forbidden words — including fetus, evidence-based, transgender, and diversity.
- In February 2017, the Department of Education announced a policy to cease investigating civil rights complaints from transgender students who are not treated in accordance with their gender identity.
- In October 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions reversed a U.S. policy that protects transgender workers from discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- This past July, the website of the Department of Housing and Urban Development removed language protecting transgender individuals from discrimination at homeless shelters.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives. www.ppfa.org