Find this information useful? YubaNet is powered by your subscription
Based upon the most expansive leak of tax haven files in history, the investigation reveals the secret deals and hidden assets of more than 330 politicians and high-level public officials in more than 90 countries and territories, including 35 country leaders. The Pandora Papers lays bare the global entanglement of political power and secretive offshore finance.
The secret documents expose offshore dealings of the King of Jordan, the presidents of Ukraine, Kenya and Ecuador, the prime minister of the Czech Republic and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. The files also detail financial activities of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s “unofficial minister of propaganda” and more than 130 billionaires from Russia, the United States, Turkey and other nations. Ambassadors, mayors and ministers, presidential advisers, generals and a central bank governor appear in the files.
The leaked records reveal that many of the power players who could help bring an end to the offshore system instead benefit from it – stashing assets in covert companies and trusts while their governments do little to slow a global stream of illicit money that enriches criminals and impoverishes nations.
Explore the major findings and features:
- Read: Exposing a shadow economy that benefits the wealthy and well-connected at the expense of everyone else
- Read: PM Imran Khan promised ‘new Pakistan’ but members of his inner circle secretly moved millions offshore
- Read: While foreign aid poured in, Jordan’s King funnelled $100m through secret companies to buy luxury homes
- Explore: The Power Players: The biggest political names uncovered in the data
- Explore: The Secrecy Brokers: The 14 offshore service providers at the heart of the Pandora Papers
- Watch: A 3-minute video summary of the investigation
ICIJ is a unique organization. A U.S.-based nonprofit, we are both a small, resourceful newsroom with our own reporting team, as well as a global network of reporters and media organizations who work together to investigate the most important stories in the world. www.icij.org