Butte County, Calif. April 24, 2019 – Residents in the unincorporated areas of Butte County will be required to have a burn permit beginning Wednesday, May 1st to burn dooryard debris. Burn permits are available at no charge from all CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire stations.

“Done properly and carefully, pile burning can be an effective way to eliminate unwanted vegetation on your property to help establish Defensible Space around your home,” said CAL FIRE Butte Unit Chief David Hawks.

For residents living in the Town of Paradise or the Cities of Biggs and Gridley, regulations differ from the unincorporated areas of Butte County. Gridley Residents should contact the Gridley Fire Station at (530) 846-5711, and Biggs residents should contact the Biggs Fire Station at (530) 868-5834 for burn permit information.

Paradise residents wishing to burn may do so on permissive burn days and with a valid burn permit through May 31st. For more information go to www.townofparadise.com and search “Permits” or contact the Paradise Fire Department at (530) 872-6264.

Residents who suffered the loss of a structure during the Camp Fire and are awaiting FEMA fire debris removal will need to pay attention to the placement of their burn pile to not disqualify their property. FEMA rules require that any debris burning be done at least 25 feet from the footprint of the burned structure.

Remember, persons burning are responsible to maintain control of their fire. If a fire escapes your control, you may be held criminally and civilly responsible for all costs associated with the suppression of the fire and the damage it caused. If you need further information about safe burning, please stop by your local fire station or contact the CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire Prevention Bureau at (530) 538-7888.