Editor’s note: Updated information posted on April 28, 2017.

Auburn, Calif. April 27, 2017 – Effective Monday, May 1st, 2017 residents of the unincorporated areas of Placer, Yuba, Nevada, Sutter and Sierra Counties served by CAL FIRE will be required to have a burn permit if you wish to burn yard debris. Burn permits are available at no charge from CAL FIRE stations.

Citizens using fire should do so safely. The following are guidelines that must be followed in order to burn safely and legally. Only small piles (4’ x 4’) of vegetative waste may be burned. Before burning call the Air Quality Management District office in your area to determine the air quality burn day status.

• Placer County: (530) 889-6868
• Western Nevada County: (530) 274-7928
• Truckee Area: (530) 582-1027
• Eastern Sierra: (530) 994-3561
• Western Sierra: (530) 289-3662
• Yuba and Sutter County: (530) 741-6299

Provide a 10’ area free of flammable materials and vegetation around all burn piles and incinerators. Have a water source available and an adult in attendance. Pay attention to weather conditions and forecasts. Do not burn on windy days. Do not leave smoldering fires unattended. Make sure that the fire is dead out when the control burn is completed. Residents must have their copy of the valid permit accessible when burning. Go to www.readyforwildfire.org for more information on preparing for wildfire.