Find this information useful? YubaNet is powered by your subscription
Butte County June 29, 2017 – CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire is reminding the communities in Butte County that firework regulations will be strictly enforced this 4th of July holiday.
“The use or possession of any fireworks outside the city limits of Oroville or Gridley is illegal and subject to a citation and the seizure of any fireworks. Any person who causes a fire while using fireworks could be charged with a felony and could be ordered to pay for fire suppression costs and any associated damage” stated Fire Prevention Battalion Chief Shannon Garrett. “We are extremely concerned about the possibilities of an unwanted fire and want everyone to know that the illegal use of fireworks will not be tolerated.”
Under California law, illegal fireworks include sky rockets, bottle rockets, roman candles, aerial shells, firecrackers and other miscellaneous types that explode, go up in the air, or move about the ground in an uncontrollable fashion. These types of fireworks are illegal in all areas of California. Fireworks that are sold in California must be approved by the Office of the State Fire Marshal and have the “Safe and Sane” seal on them. “Safe and Sane” fireworks are not allowed anywhere in Butte County except within the city limits of Oroville and Gridley.
Tips for the safe and responsible use of fireworks include:
- Purchase only “Safe and Sane” fireworks approved by the State Fire Marshal and use them ONLY in areas where it is legal to do so. In Butte County those areas are within the city limits of Gridley and Oroville.
- Remember, most fireworks injuries occur to children – always have an adult present.
- Most fireworks caused injuries are to hands and eyes and can be very serious – resulting in the loss of one of more fingers, a hand, or your eyesight. Light one at a time and keep a safe distance away.
- NEVER point fireworks at another person.
- NEVER use near dry grass or other flammable materials.
- NEVER attempt to re-light or modify fireworks.
- Have a bucket of water, sand or garden hose available at firing sites.
The following professional displays are offered in Butte County:
- City of Biggs 4th of July Fireworks