March 14, 2020 – This Plan follows the guidance provided by the local, State and Federal government (see section 8) as pertains to COVID-19 and Homelessness. As that guidance changes and the situation evolves, the plan will be updated as resources allow.
It is important to note that current data suggests that 80% of people infected with COVID-19 will show mild symptoms, or no symptoms, but can still spread the virus.
- Educate and Engage the HOME Team
The Homeless Outreach and Medical Engagement (HOME) Team is Nevada County’s homeless street outreach and engagement team.
• Effective Monday, March 16th the HOME Team will be provided education and resources to address the issue of COVID-19 among unsheltered homeless individuals.
• Activities of the HOME Team will include
o Educating homeless individuals on hygiene and prevention strategies
o Providing field sanitation kits
o Identifying and assisting symptomatic homeless individuals and
o Connecting individuals in need of treatment and quarantine with those resources
o Protocols to ensure employee safety
- Distribute Field Sanitation Kits
• The week of March 16th, the HOME Team will develop and distribute field sanitation kits to unsheltered homeless individuals without access to hand-washing and sanitation resources.
Items may include:
o Bottled water
o Hand sanitizer – at least 60% alcohol
o Fact sheet with education and information on resources
- Coordinate with Homeless Shelter on Planning and Prevention
• Planning and coordination are already in place with Hospitality House
• The County is providing ongoing guidance and support through ongoing communications with State/Federal guidance and issues of local importance
• Hospitality House is prepared to offer supportive placement for homeless individuals in need of quarantine
- Coordinate with Emergency Shelter Providers
In addition to Hospitality House, connections have been made with Sierra Roots, the Truckee Warming Shelter, the North San Juan Warming Shelter and Salvation Army
• Public Health is providing guidance on shelter protocols to limit transmission of COVID-19
• The County is providing resources and education to shelter coordinators and staff in relation to COVID-19 per best practices
• The County is communicating State/Federal guidance and issues of local importance
a. Support placement of individuals in need of quarantine
- Create a fact sheet with helpful information on COVID-19 and Homelessness
• Complete – See attachments.
• Link: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/DocumentCenter/View/33703/Homeless-Resources-Fact-Sheet-85×14-PDF
- Procure placement resources for individuals in need of quarantine
• Quarantine resources for homeless individuals are extremely limited, and available in cases of necessity.
• Placements will be authorized through service providers and approved by the County’s Department Head over Homeless/Housing services
• Motel Reservations are in place as of March 14th
• Identify additional resources
- Communication Strategy
• Service Providers in need of support, resources and placement should contact the Homeless/Housing Department Head. Contact information to be provided directly to service providers.
• www.mynevadacounty.com/coronavirus is the best resource for up to date local information, links to State/Federal information, and links to guidance on COVID-19 in general, and specific to Homelessness
- Links to Federal/State Guidance
• US Interagency Council on Homelessness: https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/coronavirus-covid-19-resources/
• CA Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency Guidance: https://www.bcsh.ca.gov/hcfc/documents/covid19_guidelines.pdf
• Interim Guidance for Homeless Service Providers: https://files.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/Interim-Guidance-for-Homeless-Service-Providers-to-Plan-and-Respond-to-COVID-19.pdf?utm_source=HUD+Exchange+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=8b1f3959f9-Infectious_Disease_Guidance_Homeless_3.9.20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f32b935a5f-8b1f3959f9-19281185
• County page with local information and links to federal/state info: www.mynevadacounty.com/coronavirus
• California Department of Public Health (CDPH) COVID-19 Page: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx
• Centers for Disease Control (CDC) COVID-19 Page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
• CDPH Mass Gathering Guidance: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/Gathering_Guidance_03.11.20.pdf