August 28, 2019 – To meet legislative direction and to ensure its five divisions remain balanced and retain equal representation, the Nevada Irrigation District (NID) has begun a redistricting process.
Redistricting is the process of amending division boundaries. NID Directors will incorporate criteria and make adjustments to its five divisions that are fair and equitable. These criteria include:
• Establish divisions of relatively equal population not to exceed 10 percent from the largest to smallest
• Contiguous territory – divisions should not hop or jump
• Maintain “communities of interest” – bringing like people together for representation
• Follow city/county/local government lines
NID has scheduled four public meetings to receive community input prior to drafting a final map and adoption by the Board of Directors. The current meeting schedule is designed for maximum public participation and transparency throughout this process. We look forward to hearing from the community.
The schedule includes:
• Aug 28: 1st public meeting
• Sept 11: 2nd public meeting
• Sept 18: Initial draft maps published
• Sept 25: 3rd public meeting. Draft map review
• Oct 2: Publish amended draft maps (if any)
• Oct 9: 4th public meeting
• Oct 16: Publish final map
• Oct 23: Adoption