Camino April 29, 2019 – Residential burn permits will be required beginning Wednesday, May 1st. These permits are issued to the public FREE of charge, and allows for the burning of dry landscape vegetation (NOT household trash) that originates from the landowner’s property. You can pick up your residential burn permit at any CAL FIRE station. This spring’s rainfall has created a large amount of fine fuels such as grass and leaves. Please ensure you have a substantial clearance and minimum of 10 feet of clear, bare soil around your 4 X 4-foot size pile. “Use the Burn Information Line just prior to starting as conditions may change throughout the day to ensure that it is still a permissive burn day,” -Scott Lindgren, Unit Chief of Amador El Dorado Unit, CAL FIRE.

The use of burn barrels is illegal in Amador and El Dorado counties. For tips on residential landscape debris burning safety or other fire and life safety topics, please visit the CAL FIRE website at

Quick tips to landscape debris burning:
– Make sure pile is no larger than four feet by four feet.
– Scrape a ten-foot-wide ring around pile down to bare dirt
– Have a shovel and water supply (garden hose) close by
– Make sure an adult is present at all times until pile is completely out
– Be sure to call to confirm it is a permissive burn day

Amador County (209) 223-6246
El Dorado County (530) 621-5897
Sacramento (916) 874-4800
Alpine County (760) 872-8211 ext. 240
South Lake Tahoe (530) 621-5842, (888) 332-2876

For alternatives to burning your piles, contact the Amador Fire Safe Council at or the El Dorado County Fire Safe Council at for details on available programs.