Rocklin, CA (October 1, 2018) — Sierra College Theatre Arts Department announces its Fall production of The Laramie Project directed by Debra Hammond. In October 1998, twenty-one-year-old Matthew Shepard, a student at the University of Wyoming, was kidnapped, severely beaten, and left tied to a fence in the middle of the prairie outside Laramie, Wyoming. He was not discovered until the next day, and he died several days later in an area hospital. Matthew Shepard was the victim of this assault because he was gay.
After Matthew’s murder, members of the Tectonic Theater Project in New York City traveled to Laramie to interview residents about how the attack on Matthew had affected the town. These transcripts were transformed into the play, The Laramie Project, which tells the stories of real people who lived at the epicenter of one of the nation’s most heinous anti-gay hate crimes. Please join us on the 20th anniversary of this compelling and important event.
Performances Dates and times:
YubaNet is powered by your subscription
- Friday, October 26, at 8:00 pm (talk back after the show)
- Saturday, October 27, at 8:00 pm
- Thursday, November 1, at 7:00pm
- Friday, November 2, at 8:00 pm
- Saturday, November 3, at 8:00 pm
- Sunday, November 4, at 2:00 pm (talk back after the show with special guest, Zeina Barkawi, producer of the documentary film: Matthew Shepard was a Friend of Mine)
- Thursday, November 8, at 7:00pm (director’s discussion at 5:30pm and talk back after the show)
- Friday, November 9, at 8:00 pm
- Saturday, November 10, at 2:00 pm (closing matinee)
Tickets: $15 general, $10 students & seniors, $5 Sierra College Students.
Purchase online from Brown Paper Tickets at: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3560904
Call (916) 660-8036 for more information
Or, Purchase at the door one hour before each show in the Lobby of the Dietrich Theatre.
Sierra College is located at 5100 Sierra College Blvd, Rocklin, CA 95677. Parking on Thursdays, requires $3 daily permit available at dispensers. Free on Friday evenings and weekends.